Recipe of the Month
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Carton (32 oz) Progresso reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury Grands! Southern Homestyle refrigerated Buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- In 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, heat broth, chicken, soup and poultry seasoning to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium-high; return to a low boil.
- On lightly floured surface, roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Drop strips, one at a time, into boiling chicken mixture. Add carrots and celery. Reduce heat to low. Cover, simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.
Prep 30 min | Total 40 min | Servings 4
- Refrigerated biscuit dough is a natural stand-in for homemade dumplings- the dough is nearly identical, and you don’t have to mix up the dough. The strips will actually cook more evenly than if a large dumpling was dropped into the hot filling.
- The creamy filling is the right foil for leftover (or rotisserie) roasted or grilled chicken and any vegetables you’d like. Go beyond carrots and celery- try leeks, parsnips, rutabaga, broccoli, cut green beans, or sugar snap peas.
- Poultry seasoning is a flexible blend of sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, and black pepper. Every brand has its own proprietary ratio of each herb and spice, but sage tends to be the predominant flavor and is especially complementary to chicken. If you don’t have a bottle of a poultry blend, experiment and make up your own.
Holiday Season Decorating on a Budget
(most items found at the dollar store)
A little copper spray paint completely transforms these plastic pumpkins into an elegant centerpiece
Twine and loose leaves make this plain candle more festive
Those same leaves take an elegant turn when they are gussied up with some metallic paint
How easy it would be to replicate this with some plastic pears and a can of gold glitter spray paint
Wine glasses in this centerpiece serve as double duty
This candle centerpiece takes about two minutes to put together but it looks like its straight out of a magazine
Turn dollar store cylinder glass vases into festive winter vases by adding snow effects
Make the inexpensive art work and place it on the fire mantel
Make and hang this cute wreath to your front door this year
Make plain candlesticks sparkle with a coat of shimmery glitter
Use mini stockings as utensil holders
Dollar store gem icicle ornaments